When two Washington policy economists come together – where one is the Co-director of the Liberal Center for Economic and Policy Research and the other is the Director of Economic Policy Studies at the Conservative American Enterprise Institute… and both agree – we should pay attention!
There are over 5 million Americans who have been unemployed for more than half a year. This long term unemployment rate has been rising with no end in sight. Dean Baker, a liberal policy economist and Jeffrey Brown, a conservative policy economist were interviewed together (YouTube link below); and both agreed that long term unemployment is a “worsening human disaster throughout the United States.”
Points both economists agree on
▬ The US long term unemployment problem in a national emergency.
▬ Historically, long term unemployment has not been a problem – making up less than 1% of the total number of those unemployed. Today it makes up about 30%!
▬ Long term unemployment is hitting older folks hard. Job seekers over 50 are having a difficult time competing with younger job seekers.
▬ Long term unemployment is affecting minorities. Long term unemployment is much higher for Hispanics and African-Americans – about twice the overall rate.
▬ Loosing a job is like experiencing a death in the family. Long term unemployment can take a year and a half off of one’s life expectancy. Suicide rates are higher and statistics show that there are an extra 130 suicides a MONTH directly related to long term unemployment.
▬ Neither party, democrats nor republicans, have a clue how to react or respond to this dilemma.
▬ We have to go back to the Great Depression to see numbers like what we have.
The answer lies in the 5 Steps to Rapid Employment© using the 8 Protean Success Principles
When long term unemployed individuals follow the 5 Steps to Rapid Employment© and embrace the 8 Protean Success Principles, they will land rewarding opportunities quickly. The foundation to rapid employment is:
- Fear Management. Long term unemployed individuals must learn how to conquer fear and overcome a sense of hopelessness by using the emotional channeling techniques taught in Step 1 of the 5 Steps to Rapid Employment program©. A positive and confident attitude is critical.
- Re-think What You Know. Long term unemployed individuals must transform themselves from job seekers into opportunity seekers. They must be proactive and conduct a high energy and effective job campaign… NOT A JOB SEARCH !
- Discipline. Long term unemployed individuals must be prepared to do what they don’t want to do – to achieve all that they want. This includes having the very best resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and written action plans; and to take massive action to implement their plans.
- Mentors, Coaches, and Teams. Long term unemployed individuals must seek out mentors, coaches, and surround themselves with a solution-focused team of individuals. They must spend time with innovative, upbeat, and resilient people who will provide positive and productive support.
- Health. Long term unemployment requires physical and emotional vitality. One of the best strategies for landing a job quickly is to have a well-designed health and fitness plan. This will result in positive “energy” and that will produce positive results.
To view the interview with Dean Baker and Jeffrey Brown, go to: